Club History PDF Print E-mail




The Irish Wolfhound Club was founded and established in 1885 with members from the islands of both Britain and Ireland. However, following Irish Independence in 1921, the then (and current) easy relationship no longer continued. This ultimately resulted in the Irish Wolfhound Club of Ireland being formed in 1925. The new IWCI had Mr. J. F. Baily at its head, a founder member of the 1885 club. The Capt. Graham Trophy for the best pup bred in Ireland was left to the IWCI. However the IWCI was recognised by the American Kennel Club.

The following years were a time of great trade depression for Ireland. A 40% tariff placed on all hounds going from Ireland to England effectively stopped the sending of brood bitches to be mated and debarred members of the IWCI from showing in England. Irish breeders, led by Mrs. and Mr. H. B. Fottrell, a founder member of the Irish Kennel Club, and chairman for many years, had a good stock of the best bloodlines and the breed flourished.

In 1939 the IWCI published a conjoint reprint of the original editions of Fr. Hogan's "The Irish Wolfdog" (1897) and Capt. Graham's "The Irish Wolfhound"(1879) edited by Phyllis Gardner. In 1959 the club published "Graham's Stud Book" edited by Delphis Gardner. More recently the club wished to mark the new millennium in a special way for the breed. Through the kind generosity of Ms Elizabeth Murphy, owner of a rare set of three Gardner albums "Some great Irish Greyhounds and Wolfdogs of the Past" by Phyllis and Delphis Gardner was published by the club in 2001

A. Killykeen Doyle


IWCI link

Last Updated on Thursday, 11 April 2013 09:49